Saturday, March 26, 2005

Collisions With Trains

"Collisions of trains with roadway vehicles - and the fatalities they cause - have declined steadily over the past decade, yet still, someone in America is hit by a train every 115 minutes, often with catastrophic results. A motorist is 30 times more likely to be killed in a collision with a train than with another motor vehicle. Most of these crashes happen at the nation's 280,000 roadway-railway crossings."

Am I the only one that finds it strange that not all collisions between cars and trains occur at roadway-railway crossings. Where the hell else could they happen? I guess a train could hop off the track, travel down the highway, and strike a vehicle. Other than that, does anybody have any ideas? As you can see, my focus is definitely not on the right things as I am taking my defensive driving course. HA!

3 Comments:

Blogger mattrose said...

Your not accounting for "Runaway Trains". Its sad but it does happen. I read an article about it in Time magazine. Generally, it stems from problems at home. An alcoholic father train that touches the younger train late at night. The young train flees from the broken home and takes up a life on the streets. Selling drugs and prostituting themselves to other forms of mass transit. After resorting to a life of crime sometimes they murder cardrivers and pedestrians for cheap thrills. You have to be careful. Soul Asylum had a song about it in the mid-nineties. Im sure you heard of it.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous trains said...

I was wondering if you could place a note of your great knowledge on our Fast Loan site. ur presence and comments will brighten our blogs. please share few moments with us.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Johnny Canuck said...

Hi , like many other people, I'm scouring the internet in search of current info on Defensive Driving. There seems to be a lot of info out there on the process and which course to take, but I can't seem to find much info about which one is best and whether there are actually people who have gotten any benefits. Anyway, I did manage to find one useful site about Defensive Driving that seems to shed some light on the topic, but I still need more info. I thought that maybe this post would be useful and although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it did give me some new insights. Thanks for a great read.

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home